By Dennis Kennedy (Dir. Of Training)
The following video shows an armed citizen saving the life of a Deputy Sheriff. Nobody can fault his bravery or willingness to act. What we want to discuss are his tactics. There are lessons to be learned here.
- His approach was far too casual. He did not use cover.
- He apparently gave good verbal commands for the attacker to stop. When the attacker refused, the citizen fired 3 times, killing the suspect.
- After the shooting, the citizen drops his loaded weapon in the road and walks away from it. He went back to his vehicle and waited for the police. This is NOT GOOD. We must always maintain control of our weapons. If you cannot reholster your weapon, at least lay it down and stand over it to protect it.
- He did not check on the condition of the Deputy he just saved nor give his first aid.
- By all accounts he was yammering up a storm when Officers came to interview him. BAD IDEA. Zip it until you have an Attorney present.
- Get quality training. Under stress, you will do what you are trained to do. He seems to have had little professional training.